Timeline


YEAR EVENT
1836 Te Puoho, a Taranaki chief, led a war party across Haast Pass, raided the Upper Clutha area then continued on to Southland
1844 "Memory" maps of Lakes Wanaka and Hawea drawn by Rakiraki near Kaka Point and Huruhuru at Te Puna-a-maru on the Waitaki River
1853 Nathaniel Chalmers guided inland by Chief Reiko.
1857 J.T. Thompson surveyed from Mt Grandview. Fom there he named Mt Aspiring, Mt Pisa, Black Peak, the Cardrona River and Luggate Creek.
1858 Runs 239 (Mt Burke to Hawea River), 240 (Albert Town to Lake Wanaka) & 245 (Mt Pisa) taken up, soon sold to R. Wilkin & A.M.Thomson.
1858 First house in the Upper Clutha built by Robert Wilkin at Lagoon Avenue, Albert Town - cnr McLellan Place & 79 Lasgoon Avenue.
1859 First detailed survey of the Upper Clutha area by Edward Jollie
1859 Run 334 (Wanaka South) taken up by J.Roy, Run 333 (Wanaka West) taken up by J.Stuart & J.Kinross.
1860 Henry Norman managing Roy's run, H.S.Thomson managing Kinross & Stuart's run, J.Heuchan managing Wilkin & Thomson's run.
1860 George M. Hassing took up a timber contract for West Wanaka Station
1860 Gold Mine the " Pirate", Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Homeward Bound", Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Try Again", Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Georgie Gang", Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Fenian", Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Enterprize", Lower Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Empire", Lower Cardrona - flooded in 1878
1860 Gold Mine the "Alanta", Branch Creek, Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Banner of War", Lower Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Anglo Saxons", Branch Creek, Cardrona
1860 Gold Mine the "Band of Hope", Lower Cardrona - flooded in 1878
1861 Wanaka Station Woolshed completed at Albert Town; Gold discovered in the Lindis River. J. McKerrow began his survey of Upper Clutha area
1861 George Wyatt, Sawmiller at Makaroa
1862 Gold discovered at Cardrona; Roy sold Run334 to R.Barton; Wilkin & Thomson aquired Run 340 (Branch Creek).
1862 John (Jock) McLean established Morven Hills and settled there
1862 John Stevenson, Station Manager for Burke at Maungawera after Candy
1863 January - Charles Cameron explored the Makarora Valley and "discovered" the Haast Pass. Julius von Haast crossed the Haast Pass and followed the Haast River to the West Coast.
1863 February - James Hector, Otago Provincial Geologist, explored the Matukituki Valley crossing Hector's Col and then down the Waipara Valley.
1863 April - John Connell's survey of the townships of Wakefield, Pembroke (Wanaka), Newcastle (Albert Town) and Gladstone.
1863 April - John Connell's survey of the townships of Wakefield, Pembroke (Wanaka), Newcastle (Albert Town) and Gladstone.
Back to TOP
1863 The Norman family moved to Newcastle (Albert Town) where Henry took over the Accommodation House and ferry on the Clutha River
1863 George Hassing established a whale boat ferry at Albert Town along with his partner W. Elliot.
1864 Sheep Returns show Wilkin & Thomason stocked 46317 sheep on Runs 239, 240, 245, 334 & 340 from Motutapu & Cardrona through the Clutha to Cromwell.
1866 H.S.Campbell bought Runs 239, 240 & 334 known as Wanaka Station; Howell & Loughman Bros bought Runs 245 & 340.
1867 J.D. Ross started a sawmill at on Lake Hawea. Cardrona had a bakery, a general store and several hotels
1867 18th April - World's first recorded sheepdog trials held at Dogmatch Flat (near foot of Hillend).
1868 First hotel in Pembroke, built and run by Theodore Russell & Charles Hedditch.
1868 Alfred Pinn and George Hassing built the 40 ton sailing ship "Eureka" on Pigeon Island (Mou Waho).
1868 Cutter yachts "Water Lily" and "The Lady of the Lake" offered excusions on Lake Wanaka.
1869 (or 1869) First school in the district opened at Albert Town
1869 Luggate Hotel built by Harry Maidman who later moved to farm at Mt Barker.
1870 Cardrona School opened
1870 Templeton brothers, Sawmillers at Snowy Creek West Branch Matukituki
1870 Call for large runs to be broken up to allow smaller freeholdings.
1870 Tom, Tuohy, Farmer, Ran sheep at Hunter River
1871 Robert McDougall's Store opened at Cardrona
1871 Run 236, 2460 acres (part of Morven Hills) subdivided into 49 approximately 50 acre sections for farming and settlement.
1873 Pembroke Post Office opened.
1874 50 ton sailing ship "Nun" built by Alfred Pinn.
1875 Campbell added Runs 337 (Minaret), 340B (Branch Creek), and Runs 338 & 430B (to the north between Lakes Wanaka & Hawea) to Wanaka Station.
1875 Bendigo School opened.
1876 Rabbits first reported as a pest in Manuheurikia.
1877 James Templeton, Sawmiller at Makaroa
1877 Robert McDougall's house built in Pembroke.
1877 Templeton samills was set up at Snowy Creek on the east branch of the Matukituki River and a third sawmill on the bank opposite Wishbone Falls.
1877 Land ballots including Mt Barker area.
1877 Euan and Marion Cameron took up Run 458 and 468 naming it Glenfinnan Station at the head of the Matukituki Valley, later abandoning it to the rabbits.
1877 Thomas Russell and Joseph Ewing set up Matukituki sawmills at Mill Creek, in the Matukituki Valley
1878 George Hassing became the first teacher at Cardrona
1878 R.Studhome established Lake County Forest Nursery; Very heavy snow falls. Great Flood in September.
Back to TOP
1878 Major flooding in lakes and rivers. Lake Wanaka reached 281.8m
1879 Cromwell Argus reports on rabbit pest.
1879 Hugh Macpherson acquired land and built a homestead in the east branch of the Matukituki Valley which later became the Mt Aspiring Station homestead.
1880 W.G. Stewart, Runholder Mount Albert Station
1880 Pembroke School opened
1880 Paddle steamer "Theodore" built by Asher Smith at Lake Wanaka.
1881 Runs 236, 240, 240B & 245 recommended for subdivision. First Rabbit Districts defined.
1881 Flourmill opened at Luggate owned by Thomas Anderson, farmer of Mt Barker and Peter McIntosh, carrier.
1881 Paddle steamer "Theodore" launched, Captain Charles Hedditch.
1881 First Rabbit Districts defined and trustees appointed.
1882 Hawea Flat School opened
1884 Luggate School opened.
1884 First weasels (67) in New Zealand released on The Peninsula (between Lake Wanaka and Stevenson's Arm).
1884 First stoats (23) in New Zealand released on the east side of Lake Hawea. 177 ferrets released at the head of Lake Wanaka.
1885 Opening of Commercial Hotel at Pembroke by William Allan.
1885 Criffel gold diggings productive which lasted a decade.
1885 Euan Cameron took his flock of sheep from the Matukituki  to Cattle Flat and later to Mt Burke Peninsula at Maungawera.
1885 Tarras School opened.
1887 Wanaka Station liquidated - result of overstocking, falling wool prices, rabbits & effect of the Great Flood.
1887 First Wanaka Library opened on Ardmore Street.
1888 Wanaka, Minaret and & Mt Albert Stations shearing will begin on 2 January - Robert Stewart, Manager.
1890 First flax mill at Makarora.
1891 Wanaka Station bought by R.M. & C.A.Turnbull.Motutapu & Glendu blocks then cut off. Mt Burke, Mt Albert & Minaret runs abandoned.
1892 St Patrick's Catholic Church built at Hawea Flat.
1895 Makarora School opened.
Back to TOP
1897 Run 334 (Wanaka South)split up & parts sold to J & R.Studholme, R.Paterson and H.Baker.
1899 Duncan Macherson, nephew of Hugh, acquired Cameron's Runs 458 and 468 extending to the top of Mt Aspiring which they called Mt Aspiring Station.
1899 Provincial boundary between Canterbury and Otago affecting the Upper Clutha northern region was finally resolved. Makarora now part of Otago.
1900 John Miller, wife Margaret and five children moved from Cardrona to Mt Barker.
1900 Steamship "Makarora" built at Lake Wanaka by William Allan.
1900 and 1924 - 1926  Rev A.D. Mitchell the first vicar of Pembroke Parish
1901 R.Turnbull acquired water right for 6 heads. Water seen as key to realising potential of land.
1901 Maungawera School opened.
1902 St Columba's Anglican Church built at Pembroke.
1904 Maungawera punt cost the Vincent County £700
1905 St Andrew's Presbyterian Church built at Pembroke.
1909 "S.S. Makarora" wrecked near Stony Creek (half way up the east side of Lake Wanaka).
1909 23rd November - First recorded ascent of Mt Aspiring / Tititea.
1912 Wanaka Station sold to P & L.Sargood, along with senior water rights to Cardrona.
1913 P.Sargood planted orchard & imported first tractor to region. Homestead burnt down, new house designed & built.
1915 Opening of red Bridge at Luggate across the Clutha River.
1920 John (Jack) Aspinall took up the lease of Mt Aspiring Station in the Matukituki Valley which remains in the family to the present day.
1922 First Wanaka Hotel burnt down.
1922 Albert Town block sold to T.Gunn
1923 Second Wanaka Hotel and Wanaka Public Hall built.
1930 James Horn Bridge over Clutha at Albert Town opened, replaced the punts.
1935 John Faulks founded Mt Barker Stud purchasing the thoroughbred  'Paper Money'.
1937 St Ninian's Presbyterian Church Hawea Flat foundation stone laid by James Arthur Drake.
1940 Pembroke name changed to Wanaka. 
1940 Wanaka connected to the national electricity supply.
1946 Mt Aspiring Hut, Matukituki Valley foundation stone laid by Arthur P. Harper
1950 Camp Hill Road Bridge over the Hawea River opened.
1954 Luggate Memorial Hall opened.
1958 Lake Hawea dammed as storage for the Roxburgh hydro.
1958 Second Wanaka Hotel burnt down.
1964 Mt Aspiring National Park gazetted.
1964 Wanaka Tourist Hotel Corporation Hotel opened.
1965 6th November - road from Hokitika to Wanaka opened by the Prime Minister Keith Holyoake.
1965 Wanaka Fire Station on Ardmore Street opened.
1968 Treble Cone (Wanaka) Ski Field Ltd formed.
1972 Mt Aspiring National Park Visitors Centre opened.
1973 The Wanaka Maze opened.
1977 Wanaka Station Park gifted to the community by the Sargood Trust.
1977 Wanaka Medical Centre opened.
1980 Wanaka Special Medical Area rescinded becoming a private medival practice.
1980 Cardrona ski area opened.
1981 Pembroke Mall opened.
1983 Wanaka Airport opened.
1984 First automotive product testing at Wairorau, Cardona, now known as Southern Hemisphere Proving Grounds.
1986 Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church opened on Brownston Street.
1986 Edgewater Resort opened.
1987 Mt Aspiring College in Plantation Road opened for students.
1988 First Wanaka air show now known as Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow held as a biennial event at Easter.
1989 Mt Aspiring College officially opened by Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal, on 4th March.
1990 Nordic ski area later known as Waiorau Snow Farm opened.
1995 Aspiring Medical Centre established.
1999 Flooding of Lake Wanaka reaching the second highest recorded level of 281.32m. Average level of Lake Wanaka is about 277.3m above sea level.
2001 9th April - Lake Wanaka Centre opened
2002 Snow Park free skiing and snow boarding area opened at Waiorau, Cardrona.
2003 Wanaka Library on Bullock Creek Lane opened.
2010 The new Wanaka Primary School built on Kings Drive next to Aspiring College and opened.
2012 Wanaka Lakes Medical Centre opened on Cardrona Road.
2012 Pembroke Cemetery Memorial Wall erected with names of people in unmarked graves in the Old Pembroke Cemetery.
2013 Police Station on Ballantyne Road opened.
2016 Fire Station on Ballantyne Road opened.
2016 Wanaka Recreation Centre at Three Parks opened.
Back to TOP