Significant Events In Local History
Te Puoho, a Taranaki chief, in 1836 led a war party across Haast Pass, raided the Upper Clutha area then continued on to Southland.
“Memory” maps of Lakes Wanaka and Hawea drawn by Rakiraki near Kaka Point and Huruhuru at Te Puna-a-maru on the Waitaki River
Nathaniel Chalmers guided inland and through the Upper Clutha by Chief Reiko.
J.T. Thomson surveyed from Mt Grandview. From there he named Mt Aspiring, Mt Pisa, Black Peak, the Cardrona River and Luggate Creek.
Views the area from Grandview. Maps out an area for himself and family, and on 5 September obtains a Licence to Depasture over some 500,000 acres which he names Morven Hills.
Runs 239 (Mt Burke to Hawea River), 240 (Albert Town to Lake Wanaka) & 245 (Mt Pisa) taken up, soon sold to R. Wilkin & A.M.Thomson.
First house in the Upper Clutha built by Robert Wilkin located on the corner of McLelland Place and 79 Lagoon Avenue, Albert Town.
First detailed survey of the Upper Clutha area by Edward Jollie
Run 334 (Wanaka South) taken up by John Roy, Run 333 (Wanaka West) taken up by J.Stuart & J.Kinross.
Otago Provincial Gazette reports the McLean brothers had 12,000 sheep depasturing and a year later (1860) had 18,000
Probably the first family to settle in the Upper Clutha. Henry is manager of Roys Station
H.S.Thomson managing Kinross & Stuart’s run, J.Heuchan managing Wilkin & Thomson’s run.
He obtained a contract to fell timber on West Wanaka Station
Wanaka Station woolshed completed at Albert Town; payable gold discovered in the Lindis River. J. McKerrow began his survey of the Upper Clutha area.
Include Caleb Pipson, James Isbell, ‘Red Bill’, J D Ross, A I Farquhar, Josiah A Wryatt and James Johnson
He used a whale boat to ferry travellers across the Clutha at Albert Town (on the north bank) in the early months of 1862.
Roy transfers Roys Station to R Barton to settle a debt (August 1862). Barton will subsequently sell the Station to Wilkin and Thomson. Wilkin & Thomson aquired Branch Creek Station (Run 340).
Between August and December the Normans moved to the original location of Albert Town (north side of Clutha River) where Henry purchased an accommodation house and a ferry business.
Gold discovered by Fox at Cardrona and the Gold Rush started on 9 November
Gold Mine the ” Pirate”
Gold Mine the “Homeward Bound”
Gold Mine the “Try Again”
Gold Mine the “Georgie Gang”
Gold Mine the “Fenian”
Gold Mine the “Enterprize”
Gold Mine the “Empire”, – flooded in 1878
Gold Mine the “Alanta”, Branch Creek
Gold Mine the “Banner of War”
Gold Mine the “Anglo Saxons”, Branch Creek
Gold Mine the “Band of Hope” – flooded in 1878
Charles Cameron explored up the Makarora Valley and may have found the way through to the Haast Pass just before Sir Julius Haast set out from Makarora three days later.
Sir Julius Haast, a German geologist, and his party left Makarora on 22 January and found the way over the Haast Pass to the West Coast.
Otago Provincial Geologist, he commenced in January to try to find a way to the West Coast via the Matukituki Valley. The party crossed Hectors Col and down the Waipara Valley. They sighted the Tasman Sea but were forced back due to their supplies situation.
Having sold his Albert Town ferry in December 1862, George Hassing and his partner Wm. Ellacott commenced their new businesses in March 1863 at Sandypoint (about 8km in a strightline down the Clutha River from the Red Bridge location).
In April he surveyed areas for proposed townships of Wakefield (near Bendigo), Pembroke ( to be re-named Wanaka), Newcastle (Albert Town) and Gladstone (just east of the current Lake Hawea township).
The 1864 Return shows they stocked 46,317 sheep on Runs 239, 240, 245, 334 & 340 ranging from Motatapu & Cardrona through the Clutha to Cromwell.
Caleb Pipson had married and his wife was the first woman settler to live in the Makarora area.
Stevenson took over as manager when Candy moved to North Canterbury. Left in 1871. Stevensons Island and Stevensons Arm in Lake Wanaka named after him.
H.S.Campbell bought the Wanaka Station Runs (239, 240 & 334). Howell & Loughman Bros bought Runs 245 & 340.
On 18 April the World’s first recorded sheep dog trials were held at Dogmatch Flat ( near foot of Hillend).
Cardrona had a bakery, general store and hotels in response to the increasing population of gold miners
Wanaka Hotel built and run by Theodore Russell & Charles Hedditch.
“Eureka” was a 40 ton sailing ship built on Pidgeon island (Mou Waho).
Cutter yachts “Water Lily” and “The Lady of the Lake” offered excursions on Lake Wanaka.
First school in the district opened at Albert Town in 1868/9. Closed in 1876 but reopened in 1878.
Luggate Hotel built by Harry Maidman who later moved to farm at Mt Barker.
Opened on 7 February, initially in a local residence before a classroom was built. Closed in 1948.
Templetons opened a sawmill at Snowy Creek, West Branch of the Matukituki Valley
Robert McDougall’s store opened at Cardrona
2460 acres of Run 236 was subdivided into 49 sections of about 50 acres each for farming and settlement.
Campbell added Runs 337 (Minaret), 340B (Branch Creek), and Runs 338 & 430B (to the north between Lakes Wanaka & Hawea) to Wanaka Station.
Closed at end of 1925.
Templeton samills was set up at Snowy Creek on the east branch of the Matukituki River and a third sawmill on the bank opposite Wishbone Falls.
Runs 458 and 468 at the head of the Matukituki Valley and named Glenfinnan Station by the Camerons. Abandoned to the rabbits about 1885.
Thomas Russell and Joseph Ewing set up Matukituki sawmills at Mill Creek, in the Matukituki Valley
Major floods swept away buildings in Albert Town. Lake Wanaka reached 281.8 m above sea level. Very heavy snowfalls this year.
George Hassing became the first teacher at Cardrona
Robert Studholme established a nursery near the mouth of the Cardrona River.
Many newspapers reported on the rabbit infestation which was a major problem for farmers.
Bought land and built a homestead in the east branch of the Matukituki Valley. The Run was named Mt Aspiring Station later on.
Opened on 13 January. Became Wanaka District High School in 1940.
Flourmill opened at Luggate owned by Thomas Anderson, farmer of Mt Barker and Peter McIntosh, carrier.
Captained by Charles Hedditch.
Opened March 1882.
Closed 19 June 1950.
First weasels (67) in New Zealand released on The Peninsula (between Lake Wanaka and Stevenson’s Arm).
First stoats (23) in New Zealand released on the east side of Lake Hawea. 177 ferrets released at the head of Lake Wanaka.
Opened on 14 September.
Opening of Commercial Hotel at Pembroke by William Allan.
Abandons Glenfinnan Station to the rabbits and moves his stock to his new Run.
Wanaka Station liquidated – result of overstocking, falling wool prices, rabbits & effect of the Great Flood.
Robert Stewart, Manager announces shearing on 2nd January.
Closed in 1964.
Wanaka Station bought by R.M. & C.A.Turnbull then the Motatapu & Glendhu blocks were subdivided off the lease. Mt Burke, Mt Albert & Minaret runs abandoned.
Building started in early 1895 on the foreshore at Pembroke. William Allan (on right) was the owner. Launched in late 1899.
Opened June 1895.
Run 334 split up and parts sold to J & R Studholme, R Paterson and Henry Barker.
He was a nephew of the seller, Hugh MacPherson. Run extended to the top of Mt Aspiring.
Provincial boundary between Canterbury and Otago affecting the Upper Clutha northern region was finally resolved. Makarora now part of Otago.
Used for freight and passenger services on Lake Wanaka.
John Miller and his family move to Mt Barker and farm the area approximated by the current Faulks Farm location. Previously operated packhorses over the Crown Range from Branch Creek, Cardrona Valley.
Also Vicar from 1924-26
Closed in 1906, re-opened 1924 and finally closed 28 February 1946.
Robert Turnbull, the new owner of Wanaka Station, acquired water-right for 6 heads for farming purposes. Seen as a key to realising potential of the land.
Ran ashore and wrecked near Stoney Creek (towards Wanaka Station Park, Wanaka)
First ascent on 23 November by Major Bernard Head, Jack Clarke and Alec Graham
Also purchased the senior water rights to the Cardrona. He was knighted in 1935.
Sir Percy Sargood planted 8,000 fruit trees to create Wanaka Orchards. He also imported the first tractor to the Upper Clutha this year. The Wanaka Homestead was destroyed by fire and a new one designed and built.
Replaced the punt service.
Opened In September 1919 and closed in 1940 when all pupils were transferred to Tarras Primary School.
John (Jack) Aspinall and Theo Russell purchased the lease in May. Ownership still remains in the Aspinall family to the present date (2018).
The block was subdivided in 1950/60s into sections to expand the area of Albert Town – Alison Avenue, Lagoon Avenue, Gunn Road, Dale Street etc.
It replaced the punts that had operated since about 1862.
Opened 21 November and closed in 1943 when pupils were transferred to Tarras Primary School.
The foundation sire was Paper Money which sired many well-performed gallopers.
Laid by James Arthur Drake
Also Pembroke School was renamed as Wanaka District High School and included two primary classes.
Arthur P Harper laid the foundation stone for the hut built in the Matukituki Valley.
Bridge over the Hawea River giving access to Hawea Flat from the main highway to Makarora etc.
Lake Hawea becomes a storage lake for the Roxburgh Hydro Electric Power Dam.
Now part of Te Wähipounamu South West New Zealand World Heritage Area.
On Ardmore Street. Since replaced by a new Fire Station on Ballantyne Road.
Road from Hokitika to Wanaka via the Haast Pass opened by the Prime Minister, Sir Keith Holyoake on 6 November.
Started as a small club of enthusiasts in 1965 and developed into a major skifield.
In Ardmore Street, Wanaka.
Now known as Puzzling World and developed by Stuart and Jan Landsborough.
Wanaka District High School renamed Wanaka Area School. Closed in December 1986.
Gifted by the Sargood Trust.
Founders and owners were John and Mary Lee. Known as Cardrona Alpine Resort, it opened for just three weeks in the winter of 1980.
Became a private medical practice.
Part of the Snow Farm complex at Waiorau and known as the Southern Hemisphere Proving Grounds. The only southern hemisphere vehicle testing facility.
Opened in 1985.
Situated on Brownston Street.
Situated on Plantation Road, it opened with 212 students.
Now known as Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow which is held biennially at Easter.
The College was officially opened by Her Royal Highness, the Princess Royal (Princess Anne) on 4 March.
Nordic (cross-country) ski area opened at Waiorau just north of Cardrona. Became known as the Snow Farm later on.
Since moved to the Wanaka Lakes Health Centre in 2012.
The flood reached the second highest recorded level of 281.32 meters above sea level.
Average level of Lake Wanaka is about 277.3 metres above sea level.
At Waiorau just north of Cardrona.
Contains the UCHRS Records Room facility.
New school built between Kings Drive and Totara Terrace and opened. Close to Mt Aspiring College.
On Cardrona Rd. Contains two medical practices and a wide range of other medical and associated services.
Memorial Wall erected with names of people in unmarked graves in the Old Pembroke Cemetery.
Landsar = Land Search and Rescue. Situated in Ballantyne Road and opened by the Governor General, Sir Jerry Mateparae on 7 March.